We launch this manifesto of tumbling and incendiary sight, this manifesto through which today we set up Transparent Drawing, because we want to deliver problem solvers from their gangrene of representation, perspective construction, and realism.
The dark night of representation has been pierced. Designers toiling beneath the bronze mosque light, we work assiduously toward ever more holistic understanding. We yearn in our wild beating hearts to possess and internalize the consequences of our solutions.
At last the cultural Mythology and the realistic Ideal have been surpassed. Soon, we’ll see the first Angels fly! We must shake the gates of perception to test the hinges and the locks! This is truly the first light of understanding that dawns above the earth!
What can one find in a representational painting beside the embarrassing contortions of the artist trying to break the barriers that are impassable to his desire to wholly express his dream?
TRANSPARENT DRAWING MANIFESTO
1. We want to see and draw like never before.
2. The essential elements of our drawings will be courage, holisim and resolution.
3. The visual arts having up to now magnified thoughtful opacity, immobility and sleep. We want to exalt the transparent understanding, the feverish wholeness, the perilous leap of understanding, and the good wash.
4. We declare that the world’s wonder can be more completely revealed by a fresh method: the method of transparency. A holistic drawing with all sides, enclosures and interworkings revealed is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.
5. We want to sing the designer who holds the watercolor brush, whose ideal is a complete and holistic comprehension.
6. The designer must expend himself with clarity, objectivity, and relativity, to increase the enthusiastic understanding of primordial objects..
7. There is no more beauty except in transparency. There is no masterpiece, only aggressive understanding. Drawing must be a violent attack against the unknown and what you cannot see.
8. We stand on the far promontory of centuries!… What is the use of looking opaquely, since our task is to smash the representational portals of the impossible? Representational time and space died yesterday. We live already in the absolute, since we have already created the eternal holistic mindset.
9. We want to demolish the cultural cathedral of representation. We want to fight against the cultural strictures of representational moralism, the falsity of the perspective, and the artist’s realistic mindset
10. We shall sing the great awakening of the crowds. We shall celebrate the release of the shackles of representation. We shall sing of the adventurous understanding of the designer, huddled over their crystaline drawings. We shall sing of the new world understanding that arises from transparent understanding.
Gone are the days in which the designer apes the artist. Our new understanding in our hearts and minds does not promote art. Transparent Drawings are not art. Rather they are testaments to understanding. Reciprocal understanding.
Your objections? Enough! Enough! I know them! Fair enough! We know well enough what our fine, false intelligence asserts. — We are only, it says, the summary and the extension of our forebears. — Perhaps! Let it be so!… What does it matter?… But we don’t want to listen!
Beware of repeating this societal understanding! Rather, look thru!
With profound apologies to F. T. Marinetti, “The Foundation of Futurism” [“Manifesto of Futurism,”] 1909